Posted on Wednesday 18th October 2006 at 00:00
Apologies for the day and a half of silence, it was not really intentional I assure you. What actually happened was that I had a long and busy day up at uni yesterday and as a consequence was very tired when I got home. I had intended to write regardless but somehow I ended up going to bed instead. Ah well, it is probably for the best, as anything I would have written in that state would have undoubtedly been rubbish.

The plan at that point had been to save the writing until today instead, which seemed like a good plan until the point at which I got up this morning. My alarm went off at 9, but as is often the case when I am woken from deep sleep and the air is cold, I crawled right back into bed without even stopping to make a decision about whether I was going to get up or not. It annoys me so much when this happens, because it wastes a huge amount of my day and could be sorted if only enough of my brain would wake up to think sensibly for a minute, rather than going on basic instincts. Is there a cure for that does anyone know? Anything you can do to ensure that you go from being fully asleep to fully awake the minute your alarm goes off?

Anyway, I closed my eyes for just a second and the next thing I knew I'd slept heavily for 90 minutes at it was half 10. Since I needed to leave at 11 and wasn't prepared to forfeit my shower, I settled for not writing my blog until later in the day, which is what I am now doing.

The big piece of news that I wanted to write and tell everyone about is that yesterday I got my first ever genuine comment on this blog, and then today another. This makes me very happy as it appears that frequent commenting with my blog URL over at Little Red Boat has finally got me noticed. All I can hope now is that I've not scared any of them away yet and they might just come back and read again.

The other piece of news of the day is that I may finally have a job, after months and months of little more than the odd uni event. I applied a little while ago to work for catering services in one of the uni bars as a regular job and they got back to me the other day to find out when I can work. Not sure exactly when I'll be able to start but I'll be replying to them more or less as soon as I've finished writing this, so soon hopefully.

I was in a lecture yesterday evening, as is generally the case on a Tuesday and we had a different lecturer to usual. This particular module is split between two lecturers and after a few weeks of having the man, this week we had the woman. I mention this because it is the only explanation I can think of for the incredibly bad behaviour that ensued throughout the lecture. Anyone who lives in or near a university town knows that bad behaviour from students isn't uncommon, but this was just something else.

Despite being the third and final year of the course this year, a fair number of students are already bunking off, so the lecture theatre wasn't very full. Probably no more than 200 or so students in total. Right from the offset large numbers of them started talking in less than quiet voices to their neighbours. This sometimes happens when something is up, such as if the lecturer is giving the wrong lecture or something, but there wasn't obviously anything up this time. And it went on and on. At least 150 of the students in there were talking, laughing and joking quite openly and practically drowning out this poor woman who had clearly made up her mind that she was not got to stop for them.

When the last slide was put up the level of noise increased still further. I assumed at first that it was general exclamation at the complexity of the slide, which was very detailed, but it wasn't. It turns out that they'd seen in the handout that it was the last slide and so they took its arrival as a sign that the lecture was over and they could pack up. And that is exactly what they did. Papers rustled, bags were unzipped and rezipped and the mini tables where folded away. All this time the woman kept talking, seemingly determined to maintain control. One guy, having finished packing away actually got up and walked straight out, despite the fact that the lecture had around 15 minutes left to run.

I really can't decide anymore whether this really was the bad manners I'm suggesting or whether it is just what comes of a whole day of examples of good behaviour being replaced with downright rudeness. Only a couple of hours before, half the class in one of my seminars had decided the lesson was no good so had just got up and walked out of the room, never to return. After that I went to a bar for some lunch and two guys just came and sat down on my table without even a glance to see whether I minded, and then promptly both lit cigarettes and sat there smoking and talking like it was the most normal thing in the world. As a non-smoker and someone eating their lunch I was more than a little pissed off about this, especially as it is a no smoking bar.

Just for the record, yes I know I am sounding like a grumpy old man, yes I know there are worse things in the world than people smoking in a bar or talking in a lecture but really, what the hell has happened to society that the majority of people in a smart, proper middle-upper class university think that it is ok to behave like that?

If this is what the world really is coming to then I feel sorry for any future kids I might have; they are going to live in a pretty shit society.


Recent Posts

<-- The Problem of NothingIgnorminious on Energy Efficient Light Bulbs -->